Thursday, January 27, 2011

Steel Cut vs Rolled

I was craving oatmeal...odd that, but there you have it.
But what is the difference between the regular oatmeal and the Dr. Oz approved, steel cut. From what I could see (not including instant) they seem to be about the same nutritionally. They definitely look different.

Looking on the Internet I found out that steel cut oats are more dense. Instant oats are usually rolled out and thinner, making them cook faster.

Faster cooking seems important as the steel cut takes 30 minutes.

I did find this suggestion:

The best thing to do with steel cut oats is to use a crock pot. Before you go to bed, put some steel cut oats and water (about 1 part oats to 3 parts water) into the crock pot. Add some cinnamon, a bit of brown sugar, a cut up apple, and some raisins. Turn it on low and let it cook overnight. In the morning slice some fresh banana into your oatmeal and enjoy.

I didn't get the raisins or banana, but the apple and cinnamon sound delicious.
I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment